Monday, October 17, 2011

I Heart Faces-Tickled Pink (Stop breast cancer!)

Stop breast cancer! by janelleh1
Stop breast cancer!, a photo by janelleh1 on Flickr.
I really didn't plan to enter a photo each week but when I started last week with the "Hands" theme; it was an opportunity to enter one of my favorite photos. This week I'm entering because I have great ties to breast cancer and thought this photo fit.
Both of my parental grandparents died from breast cancer. What are the odds of that? They were quite young (i think my grandfather was in his fifties and my grandmother was maybe 60). I never knew them. They had died many years before I was born. My grandfather died the week before my parents got married... that is so hard for me to comprehend. This has made cancer close to my heart.
A mere 6 months into my nursing career, I started working on the cancer unit of a hospital, eventually giving chemotherapy to patients there and then continuing chemotherapy administration in a clinic setting. What a blessing this was in my life! I know it seems like it would be sad work but it was so rewarding. We became like family to our patients and we'd look forward to seeing them and were saddened by any bad news they received but rejoiced with them when good news came. I would never change those years for anything. I still sometimes wish I was still serving patients there but am happy to be at home taking care of my family now too. Breast cancer is truly close to my heart and I would love to be able to "Stop breast cancer"! This photo was entered into the I Heart Faces Photo Challenge-http://www.iheartfaces.com/

3 comments:

Unknown said...

oh gosh, this is too precious!

Misty said...

Adorable! Thanks for the sweet comment on my blog...pretty sure the kitty cat hat is from Target :)

Tea with Tiffany said...

yes, stop breast cancer.. she is cute!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...